Wednesday 19 August 2009

Midnight Mass


I originally started to write this poem as a rather cynical response to the concept of 'organised religion' but as I wrote the words, the feel changed.




Midnight Mass - 23 Aug 01

The words of the priest
Echo down the aisle
The forgotten prayers
Of countless years
Hidden
In the late night
Schemes
The darkness of
The midnight mass

He called the faithful
To prayer
Of those who answered
Only the faithful
Only the fearful
Managed to say the words
And sing the hymns
And chant the responses
Of the mass

Body and Soul
In the midnight hour
When darkness touches the heart
And minds of the faithful
This is the Body
The open mouth accepts
This is the Blood
And sips, tasting the life.

In the echoes, in the aisle
Footsteps falter
The darkness gathers
And in the midnight hour
A gentle touch
A hand touches the brow
Of the priest
His face illumined
By the Light
And he knows
He is here, She is here
We is




The poems I write are my personal feelings and thoughts and are not meant as any kind of insult to any religion or individual belief pattern.

If you don't like the thoughts behind any of my works please do not hesitate to tell me, I would be interested in what you have to say. Come to that, if you do like these thoughts you can tell me that too...


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment