Wednesday 17 June 2009

Two from 1995 and a bit of fun

Starting today with a poem I wrote near the end of the 1995, a lot of my poems are from that time of the year and must be connected with the feelings involved around the change period.



Transformation 27 Dec 95

Dark books of forgotten lore
Discarded
Upon a grimy floor
I read
Forbidden words.

A knock upon the worm-gouged door
Inviting me to open
And so I do
Only to find myself
Staring at myself
Past flaking paint.

I pass within
Transformed



The second poem also comes from the end-of-year period...



The Moon Bridge 19 Nov 95

The Moon Bridge
Dark
Silent.
Dreaming of a time
Before
The light
Faded into the mists.
Keeping
Watch
Upon a midnight clear
Stars
Shining
Frosted breath dragon time
Footfalls
Approach
The Moon Bridge



And now a total change of mood; many years ago 'The New Statesman' used to run a regular competition, often based on some kind of poetical theme, one week they challenged the readers to provide a Clerihew or two. For those who don't know a Clerihew has a rather specific structure as can be seen from my examples.

I didn't enter the competition but the competition inspired to create some for my own entertainment.



Four Clerihews Nov 95

I
Johnnie Django
Loves to dance the tango
Prancing around the living room
Sucking on a mango

II
Mongo pongo
Floating up the Congo
Sitting in a little boat
Playing with his Bongo

III
Rungy Pungy
Green and gungy
Tripped and fell
On his bathroom spongy

IV

Huffety pufferty
Great aunt Pam
Loves to dance
On a slice of Spam



I make no apologies whatsoever. [Said he grinning broadly]


Till next time - peace.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment