Tuesday 2 June 2009

A little lighter

The last posting was, I felt, a little heavy. So I offer these Senryu just to lighten the mood a bit.

For those who do not know, a Senryu has the same syllabic structure as a Haiku but doesn't have the spiritual content - though it can seem to have a deeper meaning at times.

Sennen Senryu 21 Sep 84

I

The sound of the sea
In the distance, dragging its
Feet across the sand


II

Painted patterns on
Still-wet sand, reflections from
The cove, mock the night


III

The music inside,
The wind and the rain outside.
Both ask to be heard


Looking due North over Sennen BayImage via Wikipedia















In the image above the small studio, [the black dot with white windows] at the right-hand edge of the picture - just a little way above the sand, was where I was staying when I wrote the Sennen Senryu. Spent many happy holidays there with lovely wife Liz. The link from the word Sennen takes you to a map of the area.

The rest of the Senryu here were written in my old home in London, specifically Charlton, where I spent most of my life till 1990.



October Senryu
05 Oct 84


I

Early October
The rains came and washed the sun
From the autumn sky


II

Thunder in the sky
All day long. Rain filled the butt
To overflowing


III

Darkness too early
In the day. Raindrops slipping
Down the windowpane


IV

Too late, too short to
Be of any use. The sun
Shines for five minutes



Writing by Moonlight 06 Nov 84


Writing by moonlight
While all the ghosts of the day
Fade softly away


That's all for now, more works soon.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment