Wednesday 24 June 2009

Mulberry Fair


A little explanation here before the poem; Mulberry Fair is a name I use to represent the Horn Fair that used to take place [I don't know if it still does, I shall try to verify this soon] in October every year in Charlton. The Mulberry tree of the title was planted in 1608 by order of King James in an effort to cultivate silkworms. I remember 'harvesting' a few of the berries each year, delicious they were too.



Mulberry Fair 18 Dec 81

I went down to Mulberry Fair
For to wed My Lady whom I left there
But I found she'd married somebody else
---- that she met at Mulberry Fair

So I said to My Lady is this really true
That you have left me for somebody new
For I only left you a short while ago
--- right here at Mulberry Fair

Then she answered me sadly with tears in her eyes
I waited for you - oh nightly I would cry
But you never returned - two years you were gone
--- from me and Mulberry Fair

So go young man and find another girl
Whose heart, with your lies, you can set in a whirl
But leave me alone, I no longer love you
--- be gone from Mulberry Fair
--- be gone from Mulberry Fair

Then with no backward glance she was gone from my side
Then in vain I attempted, my tears for to hide
As My Lady she left me standing there
--- alone at Mulberry Fair


Why sir, a voice said, why do you sigh?
For the Fair is a time to laugh not to cry
Come with me and I'll give you a reason to smile
--- and she led me from Mulberry Fair



Fickle or what?



Black Mulberry (Fruit)Image by Jeff Van Campen via Flickr

















Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment